Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Case Against Hybrid Vehicles

Yes you are looking at the title and wondering am I on drugs? Is this guy really against hybrid technology? Well I am not completely against hybrid technology and the many vehicles coming out in the market yearly. But just hear me out, make your judgment later and feel free to leave me a comment.

People buy hybrid cars for all sorts of reason. From trying to save money on gas to saving the environment. Pretty usual reasons why anyone would want to get a hybrid vehicle. But wait, if you want to get a hybrid vehicle for yourself you usually have to shell out a few thousand dollars more than the base model of the same car (if available). Hybrid cars have been around a decade or so and still they cost way more. Is paying the extra few thousand dollars for a hybrid vehicle really worth it? If you think about it, it will take years of driving to save the difference in paying for gas alone. Yes that sounds good to me if I can keep the car running for the next 10-20 years, but who keeps their car with them that long nowadays anyway? We are constantly bombarded with new features and told how we are missing out. So to me its not worth it to spend the extra 3000-5000 for a hybrid technology.

People who buy luxury hybrid vehicles, are you crazy? Who are you trying to impress? I laugh every time I see one of those GMC SUV trucks with a big Hybrid logo on them. I mean are you shouting to the world that the person inside of this SUV is an environmentally conscious driver? Who are you kidding? If they are so environmentally conscious how about you take the bus instead! Just today on my way to lunch this lady was trying to drive her Lexus Hybrid car. I am not sure if the car was giving her problems or she was giving the car problems, but either way what is the point in buying a $40000 plus car if you can't burn your tires on the pavement every time you want to race the person in the next lane.

I know there will be plenty of people who are going to mock me for being against the environment, but don't get me wrong there are other ways to save the environment. Like breathe less, walk or bike to work. I am sure hybrid technology will be good but its not at the level I am comfortable with. To me its not worth it just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment