Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ask the Readers: Should Personal Finance be Taught in Schools? | Wise Bread

Ask the Readers: Should Personal Finance be Taught in Schools? | Wise Bread

Wisebread.com asks whether Personal Finance should be taught in schools? My opinion is yes. Of course math, science and other classes are just as important but teaching kids about personal finance can go a long way. Like the chinese proverb, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Buying a piggy bank for your kids is a good start but we fail to teach them why they are saving money. Usually we tell them it is for the toy they want or some video game. But, if the kids were taught to create a habit of saving money rather than spending I believe that habit will follow them for rest of their lives.


When kids get out of high school or college they want the world delivered to their footsteps but as we all know it does not work that way. You have to earn everything in life. I know when I was graduating high school and college I didn't make sound financial decisions for myself and I found myself in debt which I am still paying off. Understanding interest rates, APRs, credit scores might have helped me when I was younger when I made those decisions.


Teach kids about personal finance can only make them smarter when it comes to dealing with money. Last I checked being frugal was actually a good thing regardless of what the world thinks.



No comments:

Post a Comment